Monday, December 21, 2009

How to make a latex monster mask?

Hello everyone,


I want to create one of those full over-the-head masks that you normally only see during Halloween, I've recently started to collect them.


Anyway I've searched everywhere on making a full monster mask and I only seem to find bits and pieces of information and none of the videos I find seem to relate what I'm trying to do


I've figured basically everything else out but the biggest thing is, I can't find out how to make a mold for the mask to pour the latex in.


So could anyone describe that step to me or point me to a site that actually describes it with detail [pictures or videos would be great too]


And any other tips to help me out would be great :D


Thanks!How to make a latex monster mask?
Hi,





I've just started a company making masks similar to this - we actually do foam masks rather than full over the head latex masks but the principle is the same. Have a look at http://www.kangena.co.uk





Here's some bullet point steps:


1. Get a bust to base your sculpt on - make sure it is a full sized one


2. Get some water based clay with which to sculpt (its easier than oil based clay but you may prefer to use that)


3. apply clay to bust to create the mask that you want


4. cover any areas which aren't covered in clay with vaseline


5. spray with furniture polish


6. make a 2 part plaster mould (probably best to google for this for specific instructions as its fairly tricky)


7. seperate mould then remove bust and clay - clean up mould with a toothbrush and water


8. join mould and bind together to hold it in place


9. fill with latex and leave for an hour or two based on thickness you want


10. empty mould, seperate and remove your mask


11. paint as required with acrylic paints mixed with prosthetic adhesive





or if that sounds like a lot of hard work give us a shout and we can make a custom mask for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment