Friday, December 25, 2009

Will a mask with medium-thin latex rip easy?

Hey i'm maybe think of buying a Michael Myers mask and the seller say's it has medium-thin latex and i'm not that good with mask's and latex and stuff and the mask is finished and complete it's been painted and haired please HELP!Will a mask with medium-thin latex rip easy?
medium thin latex?? I have been in the business for 17 years, and I have never heard of medium thin latex. Is this an original mask or one that was reproduced by the seller? I would really hate to see you get ripped off. Have you seen pictures of it? Normal thickness for a high quality latex mask that won't tear easily is from 3/32 - 1/8th. Have the seller measure the thickness of the latex, if its under the measurements I gave you than it is more than likely not a collectors, and was made at home (it should also be tagged with a stamp on the back of the inside of the neck embedded in the latex) How much are they asking? Ask the seller what the logo is imprinted in the latex, let me know and I can tell you exactly what it is worth or if it is a knock off.





In response to the added details, I actually know Arnie Goldman the owner of Monster Makers in Ohio, and I do know that he sells quality products for mask making. So it is a replica, I thought that it might be, I would say the price should be around $25.00, however if you are wanting the licensed product collector's (you can get through Morris, Don Post Masks, Cinema secrets,) for around $40-$65...or even on Ebay. If you are wanting to wear it and you think it looks like the real deal than I would purchase it, when not wearing it you should coat the inside with talcum powder and place on a styrofoam head, this will hold the.shape and also keep the mask from sticking. It sounds like the maker took into consideration that the mask will be worn and has re inforced the edging, there should also be a slit on the back of the mask so to aid in putting on and taking off the mask and relieving stress for tear.


hope I helped you.........Sorry if the answer came across as pompous but I do know what I am talking about.....Enjoy!Will a mask with medium-thin latex rip easy?
What a pompous first answer. Assuming you want a mask to wear to look like Mike Myers and not a collector's item once worn by him, a medium thin latex mask is going to be stronger than you would expect from the thinness but weak enough that it requires care in removing. Theatrical and movie masks and prostheses normally have tissue thin edges and are held with spirit gum adhesive. Unless removed with considerable care, the tissue edge tears. I would expect that a ';medium thin'; edge would be stronger, like a piece of typing paper in thickness and therefore harder to conceal in photo closeups, but if you are transforming to Mike, you probably don't expect to fool anyone.
  • myspace.com widgets
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment